Modern technology has made it possible to repair a cracked windshield, and that allows you to save a windshield and a lot of money. However, even the most advanced glass repair techniques have their limits. There are times when cracks are too big or too numerous for repairs alone, so know when you need to consider windshield replacement.
Signs Your Windshield is Beyond Repair
The size, location and severity of cracks together determine if they can be repaired or if a new windshield is required. Your windshield is likely beyond glass repair if:
- Cracks or chips (regardless of size) impede the driver’s vision
- Cracks are ten inches or longer
- Cracks are near the edge of the glass, particularly if they run perpendicular to the seal (this means the integrity of the seal is at risk)
- Cracks form a spider web pattern larger than a quarter-size in diameter
- There are more than three separate cracks or distinct veins on the windshield
Every chip and crack compromises the integrity of the auto glass’ strength, and that puts you and your passengers at higher risk when you continue to drive with a damaged windshield.
Other Windshield Repair/Replacement Considerations
Even if your windshield seems to be in “salvageable” condition, there are other factors that may prompt you to consider windshield replacement instead of repair. Windshield replacement may be a better option if:
- Your auto insurance covers windshield replacement without a high deductible (this may actually save you money in the long run compared to multiple windshield repairs)
- The location of chips or cracks causes glare or distracting light refractions that could interfere with your ability to see object in the road
At Astro Auto Glass, we know that cost is nearly always a consideration. We strive to keep costs low by offering free estimates and competitive prices. We prioritize your safety, so we will tell you when replacement is your best option.